Things of note for the week ending September 5th, 2014.
1. Disappearing Drive-Ins
Photographer, Stephanie Klavens, has been documenting the fading world of US-based drive-in cinemas in a series of photos called ‘Vanishing Drive-Ins‘.
Strangely beautiful and, for me at least, a little poignant – these snapshots of disappearing Americana make me long for a UK revival.
2. Become Legend
Destiny arrives in less than a week from now (advance warning: Five Things might be late next week BECAUSE PLAYSTATION) and this newly released live action trailer is so much better than it should be and could’ve been OH so much worse.
3. Interesting London Talks
I’ve been following the Talk London Twitter account for some time now and I still get such joy from it. The premise? A Twitter account specifically for keeping track of interesting talks, debates, and seminars in and around London.
Awesome and dead useful too.
4. UK Cinema Release Dates for your Calendar
I made this thing the other day. I was going to just throw it in as a list item on this week’s Five Things but then I figured it was so good, it deserved its own post.
Basically, I’ve made a calendar-based RSS feed for the UK film releases that I think are going to be good/worth seeing and you can add it to your calendar (iCal, Outlook, or Google) with this handy guide.
5. Inside the ISS
It’s Friday afternoon as you read this (probably). The weekend is around the corner and you’re feeling on top of the world (maybe). But now imagine being above it, looking down, and seeing the whole planet flow by beneath you.
Well, if you were sat in the Cupola section of the ISS, that’s exactly what you’d be able to do.
Like this –
Wouldn’t be lovely if you had an awesome camera? With a telescopic lens? Something with which you could get a proper look at everything down there?
Like this –
Now what if you were to take a video with that camera? One that came in at around 3mins and 40secs long, something that was just wonderful and allowed people to get lost in the wonder that is the planet we live upon?
Wouldn’t that be lovely?
Happy Friday everyone.
Bonuses this week are all massively self-obsessed:
- Narcissists or Identity Masters? – Taking a look at the modern selfie trend (featuring a minor contribution from yours truly.
- Is Snapchat a good option for advertisers? – The Drum seeks comment and opinion on some recent brands-on-Snapchat activations (again, featuring your Five Things author).
- Social Media Week is just around the corner and our hero is hosting a session about how to get the most out of Twitter Cards. Fancy coming along? (important note: event might say Thursday – I think it will actually happen on the Tuesday).
- Irish readers might be pleased to know that I’m giving a preview of my SMWLDN talk next week at Measurement.ie in Dublin.
- Buzzfeed did a list of ‘London’s Secret Underworld‘ and a couple of my photos are in it.
Until next week.