Things of note for the week ending Friday May 27th, 2016.
It’s Friday. I’ve got things for you. And you’ve got eyes for me.
Well, my things.
You know what I mean.
1. DONATE A LIFE AMERICA
This one is pretty heavy BUT it is without doubt one of the best Instagram cases I’ve seen this year, if not ever.
Did you know that while nearly 90% of people support being an organ donor, only 52% of people have signed up? Donate a Life America set out to tap into the 300m ‘hearts’ that are given every day on Instagram and get people to sign up straight from the platform.
Please, watch this video, and see for yourself.
It’s pretty moving stuff – you have been warned.
I have to to tell you: this work came out of the Ogilvy Chicago office and my colleague Lauren threw it under my nose this week to ask me about something else… I was like ‘Woah, what?!’ – I had no idea we’d done it and immediately wanted to share it.
The campaign is still pretty fresh but the results (I think it was something like over 250% increase in registrations) have been phenomenal.
Make you proud to be part of something that can make a true difference to people’s lives.
2. STAR WARS – IN ONE IMAGE
I would embed this but y’know, the page size would increase by about 12 parsecs.
But here’s a couple of grabs –
And here’s the whole damn thing.
3.WHO PAYS INFLUENCERS?
This has been shard a bit already this week and I tend not to share stuff [here] that has done the rounds a few times. However, I like this one so much I just had to.
Anonymous bloggers name (and in some cases shame) brands and agencies what they did for what cash and when. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn’t.
Really really interesting reading.
4. DOES SIRI BELIEVE IN GOD?
As opening paragraphs go, this one’s a doozy:
“I asked Siri whether she believes in God. â€œI believe in the separation of spirit and silicon,â€ she demurred. I asked the chatbot ELIZA the same questionâ€Šâ€”â€Šher thing is sheâ€™s a therapist, so sheâ€™d rather focus on what I believe. I asked her if she was religious; she asked if Iâ€™d prefer if she werenâ€™t. â€œWe arenâ€™t really talking about me, are we,â€ she replied. When I asked Cortana about God, she tried to search for Him on Bing.”
Leigh Alexander here with her theological guide to chatbots and the world’s major religions. Covering off everything from ‘would Islam accept an AI’ to ‘whether bots could become Christian’ – this is a great read.
It kinda stays with you too.
5. LUKE’S MUM
Twitter user ‘@BeardyNoise’ lost his Mum
recently a while back and has been sharing stories about her on Twitter. His Mum’s name was Claire Gooding and, from what I’ve read about her this week, it seems like she was a total badass.
Three things I’m telling you to do right now:
- First, go follow @BeardyNoise (tell him I said hi).
- Second, click on this Tweet, and read the full anecdote from start to finish.
- Third, give BeardyNoise a nudge next week because we all want to know the Black Mamba story and we’re already tired of waiting.
Here’s to your awesome Mum, Luke.
Bonuses this week are as follows:
- Back in [the bonus section of FToF #172, I mentioned that Sky TV/Internet and X-MEN: APOCALYPSE had done quite an incredible tie-up/campaign. I mean, it’s cheesy as hell but still. Impressive. IMAGINE MY SURPRISE when I hear that Manchester Utd did one too. One slight difference mind. Whereas Sky’s is creative and vaguely interesting/relevant. Man Utd’s, is not. In fact one might simply call it awful.
- The new Star Wars: The Force Awakens vinyl has the most amazing 3D holograms built into the actual record you have to see it to believe it.
- Monument Valley in numbers. Staggering.
Aaaaand – I’m outta here!
PS. Liked this? Tell your friends.
PPS. THREE. DAY. WEEKEND.