Things of note for the week ending January 1st, 2016.
Happy New Year, friends.
1. DRONE PHOTOGRAPHY OF AWESOME
Some of these are just wonderful. The above, so simple. The below, breathtaking. I found them via Quartz however that site pulled them from Dronestagram, a place dedicated to the ever-growing art form of drone photography.
A few things here:
- Did you get a drone for Christmas? Get yourself off to Dronestagram!
- Back in November, as we celebrated Bonfire Night in a park in South London, we counted no less than four drones hovering above the crowd taking in the firework display. In short: the drones are comingu
- Rules and regulations on drone usage are slim-to-none (in the UK at least) but if you do have one, please use safely and with respect and care for your fellow humans.
My best friend got a drone for Christmas, I’m going to hassle him for some snaps after I hit publish on this. Woop woop.
Speaking of liking photos…
2. WHAT DO THE TOP INSTAGRAM POSTS OF 2015 SAY ABOUT US
The Next Web has pulled together a decent review of the 2015 top ten [most liked] photos from Instagram. But instead of just republishing the images and going ‘Oh hey look, come see!’, the author has actually done some work (HURRAH!) and pulled in the point of view of a consultant clinical psychologist to help in said review.
Definitely a good read and – I really hate to be that guy but – the last paragraph is so on point.
3. NINE LESSONS
Brain Pickings is a favourite site of mine. I’ve pulled from it a number of times for FTOF and I/you can visit any day of the week and find something super interesting to read.
I found something from October’s published articles that reflected upon its nine year history.
It is a wonderful read. I mean really.
No images, no quotes – just a proper recommendation to read this article.
Off you pop then.
4. DOCTOR STRANGE
Irrespective of your thoughts on the most recent SHERLOCK (it was all going so well right up until… well, you know) Benedict Cumberbatch is a bloody good actor.
This year, we have two big MARVEL films head our way. The first one, CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR [trailer] arrives in April. The second one, arriving in October, is DOCTOR STRANGE.
And in the film itself?
Benedict Cumberbatch is the perfect casting for this gig. Doctor Stephen Strange has already been mentioned in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) and his nemesis was also glimpsed in ANT-MAN (oh you missed that did you?) – so yeah, he’s coming in October and EW has the scoop on how he’s going to look in the film.
And in case you needed it, here’s the UK MARVEL movie release dates for
- Captain America: Civil War â€“ April 2016
- Doctor Strange â€“ October 2016
- Guardians of the Galaxy 2 â€“ April 2017
- Spider-Man – July 2017
- Thor: Ragnorak â€“ November 2017
- Black Panther â€“ February 2018
- Avengers: Infinity War Part 1 â€“ May 2018
- Ant-Man and The Wasp â€“ July 2018
- Captain Marvel – March 2019
- Avengers: Infinity War Part 2 â€“ May 2019
- Inhumans – July 2019
5. 1, 2, 3 – JUMP!
2016 is a leap year. Here are 20 crazy facts about February 29th.
It’s late, and if I don’t hit publish soon this newsletter will be too.
Bonuses this week are things that I’ve found/loved personally this week:
- I loved my Instagram Best Nine.
- I found and downloaded a Gameboy Advance emulator for my mobile and have rediscovered my love for Advance Wars (it’s an amazing game – go play it).
- First words are one thing. First steps, another. First Batman? Year-making.
See you in a week, friends.
And in the name of all things amazing – a very Happy New Year to you.
Until next time,