Things of note for the week ending September 19th, 2014.
1. Sennheiser Urbanites
Featuring the German ‘Ultimate Love of Ears’, this has to be the oddest ad I’ve seen all week.
Obviously I’m sharing it with you.
Sorry not sorry.
2. A complete summary of 17 years of X-Men comics
Doesn’t matter if you’re a fan or not, this Reddit write up of [nearly] everything that’s happened in the X-Universe since its inception is pretty darn awesome.
3. In praise of Fincher’s women
Little White Lies is a fantastic film magazine. I cannot express this enough: Little White Lies is a fantastic film magazine. Bizarrely, I only recently discovered that it actually produces web content too. One of those pieces (titled above) is an excellent read:
A formalist with a forensic eye for detail (and no patience for wading through emotional sludge), David Fincher holds his characters at armâ€™s length â€“ perhaps all the better to see them in their entirety. Most of these characters are men; Fincher is, after all, a manâ€™s man with a particular predilection for stories about fraternity in crisis (The Game, Zodiac, The Social Network) and the crumbling framework of masculinity in a late-capitalist society (Fight Club, The Social Network and â€“ we think â€“ Gone Girl). However, that is not to say that Fincherâ€™s women are shrinking violets.
Covering off everything from The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo all the way back to nods to Alien 3, this article is a celebration of the interesting, complicated, and just plain subversive female characters Fincher commits to celluloid.
4. An Illustrated Compendium of Untranslatable Words
‘Lost in Translation‘ is a collection of drawings illustrating words that don’t exist in English (I’ve covered something like this before) and I really, really I like them.
I’m just pouring out my tretÃ¥r now… 🙂
Book available at Amazon.
How to keep your cat (1470):
“If you have a good cat and you don’t want to lose it, you must rub its nose and four legs with butter for three days, and it will never leave the house.”
Cat owners, does this work?
Bonus items this week:
- Race the Tube started out as item number one this week but so many people have seen it now I relegated it to a bonus item. Still, worth seeing if you’ve not seen it yet (it is rather good).
- Beyond Contempt is ‘the inside story of the phone hacking trial’ – here’s a PDF of the first chapter.
- Legendary Engram on Twitter. This is a Destiny thing (yes, another one). Play Destiny? You’ll love this. Don’t play Destiny? You’ll have no idea what it’s about.